Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Green Bean Bundles


Okay people. These are the best things ever! I first had them at my beloved mother-in-law's Thanksgiving spread. (It was Brian's Step-Mom...who passed away a few years ago to cancer...everytime I make these I think of her).

They are delicious and incredible! They are now a Hutchins' Thanksgiving Staple!

Green Bean Bundles
(original recipe)

2 cans whole green beans
1 lb. lean bacon, cut in thirds
Toothpicks
1/2 c. butter
2/3 c. brown sugar
Garlic powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Drain green beans. Roll 3-4 in each piece of bacon
and secure with
toothpick. Arrange in 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan. In
microwave melt butter
with brown sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Pour over beans.
Bake, coverered at 350 for about 1 hour. Uncover last
10 minutes.

Okay...so that's the recipe I was given. Here is how I change it a bit. I usually put more than 3-4 green beans in a bundle. 5 or 6 is how I like it. You can use canned grean beans OR fresh! I like to use center cut bacon as it's less fat! If I'm making a ton...I'll double or atleast do one and a half of the brown sugar mixture to pour over pan! I make up the bundles the night before and put them in my 9x13 pan and put in fridge. That way all I have to do Thanksgiving Day for this dish is make the brown sugar mixture and throw it all together.
*Oh...and I DO NOT USE TOOTHPICKS!
Seriously so delicious! These also taste incredible as left-overs! Can't go wrong here people!

1 comment:

Tiffany Rupp said...

do you think I could make this by just adding bacon & the beans in a dish, then pouring the stuff over & baking it? It sounds so yummy, but I would be forever making them for our growing family! ~T~